Now that Samhain has passed, and the moon is waning, it’s a nice time to clear out unwanted people or energies from your life. This simple all-purpose banishing ritual is quick and easy.
You will need:
*cauldron or fire safe dish
*matches or lighter
*piece of paper (parchment is nice)
*bottle of spring water
Because this will produce a lot of smoke, I definitely recommend going outside.
Gather your ingredients in a basket or bag and head out to find a nice, quiet spot under the waning moon.
1. In this season, dead, dried leaves aren’t hard to come by. Gather some of them, along with some twigs or other items to create a small cauldron fire. Using the warmth of a cauldron fire in this season of cooler weather brings a nice touch to any ritual.
2. Write down a symbol that represents what you want to banish, or simply write the word. If this is a person, a photograph makes a nice substitute, but their name/birthdate/zodiac sign also works. If it is a thing, you might also use something non-toxic to burn. Trying to banish unhealthy eating habits? A paper wrapper from your favorite candy might be just the thing. Trying to kick smoking? Burn your last pack of cigarettes to start yourself on the (long, but worthwhile) road of quitting.
3. Think carefully about why you want this person or thing out of your life and write this down too, either in word or symbol form. Personally, I prefer symbols. Be creative! Is your relationship toxic? The poison control symbol might adequately represent this.
4. Start a small cauldron fire with the leaves and sticks you gathered. Take care to note anything flammable that could catch before you do! Hanging branches are particularly hazardous.
5. Once it gets going, light the paper and throw it in.
6. Sprinkle the dried rosemary on top.
7. Allow your hands to pass through the smoke. Imagine it purifying you as it rises into sky, carrying away the negative energy from your life.
8. Bury the ashes somewhere where you aren’t likely to return any time soon.
9. Bless yourself with the spring water. Sprinkle it lightly and imagine yourself cleansed of this influence in your life.
10. Walk away and don’t look back. Literally, do not turn around, but keep moving forward on to wherever you’re going.
11. Follow through! Take steps in your life to make certain you keep your distance from this negative influence.